It was day one for us!
First things first – it was the
very first time in my life that I travelled alone without any elder person of
my family. Pratik, my younger brother accompanied me in Mumbai. So basically he
was here for two reasons – be there by my side, since I was unwell & on
medication and of course to carry my “luggage” (That is what kid brothers are
for ;))!!!
So where was I heading?? I was
heading to attend “Facilitators’ Workshop” at “Tata Institute of Social
Sciences (The famous “TISS”). Pratik came to drop me there as well. (So much of
cocooning) I had all these mixed feelings – excited, energetic, anxious, nervous,
clueless – everything at once.
It was 23rd December,
2018 and I reached TISS at 8.00 AM sharp. All I could see the boards and posters
welcoming us at “Jagriti Yatra 2018-19”. As I went inside, I realised that I
was one of the early birds there. We were made to sit in a big conference room.
The overall things going around there only increased the degree of the “mixed
feelings” I already had. How am I supposed to deal? I asked myself.
I called Saket, who studies at
TISS, to come and meet me. He came and we had a small, yet deep talk on so many
things. He was the only person I knew there at that point of time. That helped
me calm down my nerves.
Meanwhile the registration
counter was being set up. All the formalities were going on there at the
counter when they asked us to scan and download the “Jagriti App”. We obviously
complied. Am anyway poor with these technological and technical things, so I
was like this is not going to be easy for me it seems. It was neither easier
for organizers as they too had for the very first time opted something like
this. When I got to know this, I realised that we all were in same boat. Now I
got a bit comfortable.
We then had a breakfast and
informal introduction sessions. I could see 50-60 people like me gathered to
participate in Jagriti Yatra as facilitators. I know my weakness – I can never
initiate any conversation. To make even a smallest talk of 2 sentences, I have
to mentally prepare myself for at least ½ hour. And here came a girl with
bright smile – Radhika Mohta. While she introduced herself, I noted that I was
already in group of 3 more – It was Tarini, Geetanjali & Ramya. I was
hesitant, yet I ended up telling them that this would be my first time ever in
life that I will be without my family and travelling without them. I could see
awkwardness on their faces. Because these girls were already on their own, independent,
they may have found it weird to meet kiddo like me. Yet these were very sweet and
supportive people, all of them encouraged me to be free and be myself. I was
already enjoying their conversation and their company. Things were getting
better for me.
We then went to the Conference Room
where our Workshop officially started with Introduction session. Thankfully
organisers gave a kind of structure to introduce us - name, where we came from,
what we do and what brought us to Yatra? That made it easier for people like me
who are bit shy to talk and mix up with new people. This session was indeed a
great one. I realised that am going to be in a company of people who belong to
diverse background. So again it was an opportunity to breakout of the comfort
zone, to go to talk and meet these people. I clearly remember Najuka and Sourjya
were sitting on my right and Pinki and Mugdha on my left. I spoke to them and
got to know that all of them belong to different streams and strands. It was
indeed going to be fun, I said to myself.
The purpose of “Facilitators’
Workshop” was to bridge up the gap between organisers and facilitators. It was a
kind of “ice-breaker” session wherein facilitators could freely talk to
organisers and among themselves. It also helped in understanding what exactly a
facilitator was supposed to do? What role he/she has to play in Yatra? Facilitator
was expected to be the point of co-ordination and contact, a link between the
organisers and Yatris. It was going to be one challenging and fun task to do
and role to play.
When I had got a call for
telephonic interview, they had asked me “Why you want to become facilitator?”
and I remember I said “Because am age barred to become Yatri!” I still remember
that I was about to write to Vaishali, if it was okay if I participate in Yatra
as a Yatri and not as a “Facilitator”. This was because I was not sure what was
expected from me as a facilitator and most importantly to lead the cohort of 6
kind of made me nervous.
However, Workshop helped me resolve
these doubts and overcome so many inhibitions I had. I got confidence that I
too can go and approach people, talk to them, and mix up with them. Best part
of this pre - Yatra workshop was that it made me ready for next day where I had
to initiate things as a facilitator including find my cohort members. (That was
going to be one fun activity) It helped me bond well people around me. Mostly
importantly, it helped to erase certain biases I had about myself and people. That
opened up my mind to many things.
This workshop was all about,
getting basics of Yatra, getting mentally ready to experience things that were
to come our way in next 15 days; most importantly – it was about mastering an
art, an art of “meeting strangers and making friends” out of them. We had this “Breakout
Session” by Dr. Sunil Pevekar wherein we learnt so much of about teamwork
through various activities. We learnt to trust, we learnt to work together, and
we learnt to team-up. These learning, we as facilitators, were expected to use
and pass on to our cohorts.
Few of the finest take-away from
this workshop, which I tried to instil in myself (which can also be used in
personal and professional life), were as under –
- Change and discipline are keys to success – try to inculcate both in yourself to achieve whatever you desire.
- Communication is effective only when you are able to convey what exactly you have on your mind. You cannot expect other to be “mind-readers” to you. You must be able to convey your ideas clearly.
- In any journey, be ready to “expect the unexpected”. Choice is yours, to give up or face the situation.
- Life threatening situations are beautiful way to give up fixed mind set. Rigid mind set can take you nowhere in your life. Be open - to people, to ideas, to thoughts and to change.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFaciiiiiiii๐๐ amazing... Who said u r shy and nervous, and u really led our cohort very well..u r the besttttt faci in the world. The write up is amazing by the way.. I felt Like I attended this faci wrkshop ๐ though I was a yatri๐
ReplyDeleteThankyou so much
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteNot in the world!
ReplyDeleteYou're best faci in the entire universe ๐ ๐
Aww! Thankyou
DeleteYou are the best faciii☺☺. No one can replace you๐๐
ReplyDeleteThankyou so much
DeleteVery beautifully written. Indeed a very special day...
ReplyDelete